I suppose, in keeping with the Joneses, or whoever it is who lives near me (Lees? Oois? Lims? Yims?), I should do a year-end review. I used to do one every year until I got lazy.
2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
But since I can't seem to concentrate on getting anything done, I suppose I should have one last hurrah on this year-end thing, then go and read in bed (currently reading: A River Called Time) until the new year dawns.
Things I Have Accomplished This Year
- Finished final edits for The Weight of Strength, variously known as Berserker and maybe now Amok? Since I decided to localise the term.
- Also finished two-ish rounds of edits on The Weight of Secrets, also known as Hostage, which I should probably get round to sending off to beta readers.
- Finally rewrote The Weight of Sin, also known as Absolution, during my residency at Rimbun Dahan.
- Reprinted (!!) Coexist and Dongeng, and distributed them for sale via MPH.
- Edited and published Home Groan: A NutMag Anthology.
(Keep in mind that I haven't actually published anything this year, other than that one short story in the Home Groan anthology. But this also means that I *may* have multiple things to publish next year, funds permitting.)
Here's My Year in Books! I credit the high number to several rounds of binge-reading during MCO.
I suppose my top 5 reads this year would be:
- The Empire of Sand, Tasha Suri
- The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water, Zen Cho
- The Last Mystic, Susan Kaye Quinn
- The Skylark's Sacrifice, JM Frey
- ehhh I suppose the last is a tie between Strange Ways, Gray Williams and The House in the Cerulean Sea, T.J. Klune.
How did I choose these? Well, I went back to see my 5-star ratings in Goodreads this year. The top 3 were obvious choices. Then I discounted those that I liked enough to give 5-stars but wasn't bothered enough about to actually write a review. Then I whittled it down from there.
These are the top 5 posts for the year, that I'm too lazy to link to.
And here's my all-time most popular post: Why Your England So Bad?Other Miscellaneous
- Became the President of the Malaysian Writers Society in November (2020-2022)
- Assumed an editorial role at Penang Art District also in November
- Had a taste of my first residency at Rimbun Dahan in August to September (apply for the 2021 session)